ACADEMY BASEBALL 2016
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
A "NEW" TRAVEL FORMAT IS COMING TO OPTIMIST PARK at WCWAA THIS SPRING. In 2017, THE BASEBALL ACADEMY at WCWAA supported by Weddington Baseball will be holding tryouts for 10U-12U age groups for our 2017 travel teams on October 22 & 23.
We are also very pleased to announce two new Coaches supporting The Academy.
Hitting Coordinator - Mike Konstanty
Mike is originally from New York and attended Oneonta High School where he held 13 varsity letters in multiple sports. He was twice named to the NY All-State baseball and basketball teams. In 2003 he was also recognized as a pre-season baseball All-American. Because of his number of accolades, Mike was also recognized as a recent honoree in the Oneonta High School Hall of Fame class of 2015. Konstanty attended both College of Albany and Winthrop Universities. His team appeared in 3 NCAA Regional tournaments during his tenure. He holds the record for Albany as the single season HR leader and was later drafted in 2008 by the Cincinnati Reds as a 1B/OF and played 3 minor league seasons.
Catching and Fielding Coordinator - Taylor Honeycutt
Honeycutt is a native of Weddington and played his youth baseball at WCWAA. He attended Weddington High School and played three seasons on the Varsity team. During his senior season Taylor was recognized as an All-Conference performer in the SW4A. He went on to play two years at Lenoir Community College and helped lead the Lancers to a runner up finish at the 2008 NJCAA World Series. He finished his career at Wingate University where he helped lead the Bulldogs to back-to-back regional appearances. Honeycutt also played collegiate summer baseball in the SCBL for the Carolina Sox and also in the Northwoods League for the Thunder Bay Border Cats.
We welcome both Mike and Taylor to our baseball family!!!
Tryout dates are:
- Saturday, October 22nd at 9:00 AM
- Sunday, October 23rd at 1:00 PM
$20 Registration Fee
PLAYERS ONLY NEED TO ATTEND ONE SESSION but may be asked to participate in some additional individual work evaluation. Team assignments will be acknowledged by the following Saturday.
IMPORTANT: This is a tryout. Unfortunately, not everyone will make these teams. Please make sure you and your child understand that prior. We do our best to ensure we are putting a quality product on the field that will best-represent The Baseball Academy at WCWAA. Our evaluation team has many years of experience playing and coaching baseball and will use their best judgment in selecting these teams.
1. Who is eligible to tryout? Teams will be built based on ability and age of the player during a calendar year. A general guideline for teams will be in the 10U, 11U, and 12U age groups.
2. Does my child have to play Rec baseball in order to be eligible?
a. NO – However we do feel it is a valuable option that will be supported by the Baseball Academy should your family choose to participate.
3. How does the Academy format and Classic Tournament differ?
a. Academy Baseball is travel format baseball.
b. You do not have to play recreational baseball if you are chosen for the academy team. However, your family can participate in rec if you choose to do so. As in the past, Classic will be played under the same format with rec and weekend baseball. Academy teams will be chosen based on the age brackets of the local/national tournament organizations. Little League follows a different age bracket. You must play Rec to play All-star baseball. All-Stars will be chosen after the spring 2017 Rec season based on which Rec division that a child plays in Spring 2017 – which in some cases, may not necessarily be the Tournament team they play on, depending on their birthday.
4. What is "The Baseball Academy" at WCWAA"?
a. This is a "new" travel format program we are introducing in 2017 – initially in our 10U -12U age divisions. There will be 1 team chosen (from the tryouts) in each age group. If there is enough interest, we will look at a 2nd team in a given age group under an A and B format. Details below:
5. Cost will be approximately $600 (includes spring facility fee of $100 supporting WCWAA ). This fee does not include travel expenses or any additional one-on-one training that will be at the choice of each family. Travel will be the responsibility of each player.
6. Players will receive instruction supported by coaches with collegiate and professional experience
7. (2) - Uniforms and team affiliated items provided
8. Teams will practice 2-3 days per week with a defined schedule provided after tryouts are complete.
9. The Academy will play in 8-10 tournaments in Spring/Summer 2016 (2 tournaments outside of the Charlotte area)
10. Written training curriculum will be provided
11. Will the Academy concept be expanded to other ages and increase the number of teams?
a. Any expansion will be determined based on interest and infrastructure. Success of next year’s pilot program will help determine the expansion plans for the future.
12. What is the real difference between Tournament Teams and The Baseball Academy?
a. The Baseball Academy will be travel baseball. Academy will have a more rigorous training plan, tournament schedule, defined expectations, general training, and strictly designed to further enhance a player’s acumen of the game. Tournament teams will participate in the same format as previous years. A combination of recreation and tournament play will continue to offer a great opportunity for many players.
13. Who will be coaching these teams?
a. The Academy staff will be made up of individuals with both collegiate and professional experience. The training will be led and developed by these individuals. Coaches for each team will be announced at a future date.
14. Will there be make-up dates for tryouts?
a. Make up dates will be scheduled based on demand and availability.
More details and continued progress to follow in the coming weeks leading up the tryouts. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please reach out to the following individuals:
Burke McKinney (email@example.com)
Marc Hamer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Baseball Academy