Challenge Baseball is a program that provides an alternative to “travel baseball”. Challenge baseball gives the recreational baseball player (AAA Machine Pitch and older) with advanced skills for their age group, a chance to play additional baseball at a competitive and more advanced and challenging tournament level. Challenge Baseball provides a great opportunity for players to enhance and sharpen their skills.
Challenge Teams will play against other local Challenge Teams through the Carolina Challenge Baseball League (CCBL). This organization was created to provide Charlotte area recreational baseball programs the opportunity to participate in local competitive tournaments at a reasonable cost and time commitment. Tournaments will consist of other organizations from around the area that have selected teams through a similar process.
- Weddington’s Challenge experience is available for baseball players, ages 7 – 13 who participate in the League’s regular recreational season baseball program. There are two formal Challenge seasons, the spring and the fall. The spring season starts in February and runs through mid-summer. The fall season starts in late August and runs through late fall.
- All challenge players wishing to play in spring Challenge Program must also play for a regular season spring team.
- Challenge players who participate in the fall Challenge program do not have to play on a regular season fall team.
- Players in all age groups must tryout in order to participate in the Challenge program. As with most elite/Challenge/travel opportunities, not all players will make a team.
- For those players selected to play on a Challenge team, additional costs are associated with this program.
A panel of coaches will conduct the tryouts and evaluations. Players will be selected and drafted to their team based on their evaluations. If a player is not selected to a team, he will have the choice to remain eligible in a pool of alternate/substitute players.